Angelina Snodgrass Godoy is a Professor in Law, Societies, and Justice and the Jackson School of International Studies. She is a sociologist by training (MA and PhD, UC Berkeley; BA Harvard) whose research focuses on human rights in Latin America. Prior to pursuing her doctorate, she worked at Amnesty International, and she credits her experiences among human rights activists – at Amnesty as well as many other organizations -- as the principal inspiration behind her work.
At the University of Washington, Professor Godoy serves as Helen H. Jackson Endowed Chair in Human Rights and founding Director of the Center for Human Rights. The UWCHR is an interdisciplinary center that promotes teaching, research, and engagement across the curriculum in all three UW campuses, and in partnership with local, national, and international organizations actively working for human rights. Professor Godoy also teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in human rights in both Law, Societies, and Justice and in the Jackson School of International Studies.
Professor Godoy is the author of two books published by Stanford University Press. The first, Popular Injustice: Violence, Community, and Law in Latin America (2006), examines the phenomena of vigilante justice in the wake of contemporary crime waves, especially in Guatemala. More recently, she authored Of Medicines and Markets: Intellectual Property and Human Rights in the Free Trade Era (2013), a comparative study of the politics around health and trade in Costa Rica, El Salvador, and Guatemala. She has also written numerous articles on these and other topics for both scholarly and general audiences.
Professor Godoy is also the proud recipient of the University of Washington’s 2014 Outstanding Public Service Award.
- Angelina Godoy. 2017. “Making Meaning of Violence: Human Rights and Historical Memory in El Salvador”. Journal of Human Rights, 1-13.
- “Access to Information for Victims of Mass Atrocities in Latin America,” LASA Forum 51:1, Winter 2020 (Dossier: Verdad, Justicia, y Memoria en América Latina, Jo-Marie Burt, ed.) https://forum.lasaweb.org/files/vol51-issue1/Dossier-12.pdf
- Angelina Godoy. 2018. "Finding El Salvador's Disappeared: What the US Files Reveal". Human Rights Quarterly, Volume 40, Number 2, May 2018, pp. 241-254https://muse.jhu.edu/article/694695/pdf
- Angelina Godoy. 2015. "God Alone Was With Us: the Santa Cruz Massacre", UW Center for Human Rights, (also published in Spanish as Solo Dios Con Nosotros: La Masacre de Santa Cruz).
- Angelina Godoy. 2015. "Market Myths and Assumptions: Examining the Transnational Politics of Access to Medicines Campaigning in Central America," Studies in Comparative International Development. Volume 50, Issue 2, pp 187-202
- Angelina Godoy. 2014. "CAFTA", Intellectual Property, and the Right to Health in Central America," in The Battle Over Intellectual Property Laws and Access to Medicines: Empirical Studies of Global Administrative Law and Local Contestation and Innovation in Latin America. Oxford University Press.
- Angelina Godoy. 2013. Of Medicines and Markets: Intellectual Property and Human Rights in an Era of Free Trade. Stanford University Press, Palo Alto, California, U.S.
- Angelina Godoy. 2011. "Changing Drug Markets Under New Intellectual Property Regimes: The View From Central America". American Journal of Public Health, July, Vol 101, No. 7: 1186-1191. [with Alejando Ceron]
- Angelina Godoy. 2009. “Intellectual Property and Access to Medicines: An Analysis of Legislation in Central America". Bulletin of the World Health Organization.
Research Advised: Undergraduate Honors Theses
- Learning by Doing: LSJ 491 Students Get Involved in Local Immigrant Rights Causes - February 25, 2021
- LSJ's Professor Godoy Recognized for Scholarly Achievement - June 4, 2020
- Seeking Information on El Salvador Atrocities, UW Center for Human Rights Sues CIA - May 27, 2016
- The University of Washington Center for Human Rights is Taking the CIA to Court - October 7, 2015
- ‘Access to Information as a Human Right’ public conference Oct. 5 - September 21, 2015
- Congratulations, Class of 2015! - July 6, 2015
- LSJ Honors Class Tackles Immigration in Washington - June 3, 2014
- LSJ Professor Angelina Godoy Takes Home 2014 UW Outstanding Public Service Award - April 3, 2014
- Godoy Books Focuses on Health as a Human Right - January 27, 2014